Thursday, June 2, 2011

Long time no see


It has certainly been too long, but here I am. I've been very busy, working on waxes, casting, and a little forming. My goal this last semester was to create a cohesive line, including a pendant, a necklace, a ring and 2 earrings, posts, and hoops.
So I have a really good start, I love the pieces I created, but not sure if how I put things together is how they should be.
This is one of my dilema's, I can't decide if I like the chain connected like this, or the chain going through the top holes... I personally like the movement of having the pendant slide on the chain, but I don't like how the chain spins around to the front. Hmmmm...
I feel like leaving the top open is a little cleaner, and more refined
than stringing the chain through, any thoughts??
These are the hoop earrings, they are a really nice weight! I love wearing them. I've made them in silver and in bronze, which is what these are, with sterling ear wires. I actually soldered the catches in the back of the earring on to the model before making a mold, and now I don't need to do any soldering after the pieces are cast. That is something I learned at SGM, always minimize the things you have to to multiple times if you can in the model stage.
These are the 'halves' that I carved out of wax, I have 4 sizes, the smallest one is the post earring. The original Idea was to create a 3D hollow bead, which I did, (I'll post pics later) but I really like the way they look in half. This turquoise leather is pretty great too, and I like the combo, but it definately makes the pieces feel less special and valuable...
So, now I'll post a few things on Etsy, and I'll post some more pics another day!
Thanks for your comments!!!

2 comments:

  1. Good to see your work again; I like your new designs. I like the necklace with the chain going through the piece; I agree with you, I like the idea of movement. I wish you great selling success with your Etsy posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the chain going through... something about it being connected to each side makes it seems like a bit of an abrupt end to the chain.

    the open design of your designs is beautiful, i love the natural feel of it. kinda like the pattern on a giraffe.

    xo

    ReplyDelete