Sunday, March 21, 2010

updates and stone setting...

Updates...

I was going to add chain and dripping jewels but it just got out of control, this seems balanced, it's nice and weighty. I picked up these green faceted stones (I need to be better about writing the name down) at Beyond Beads, I was looking for a dark navy that I had gotten before, but these work.


I added a couple of little 2mm amethysts to this ring and changed the texture a bit. I wanted to set ruby's but they were a bit too big for the bezels that I had. I think the red would have been more striking.



Stone setting...
I have some small moonstones that I am practicing on, if I had my way these would be Large, soon... So I am trying to come up with different ways to set stones without soldering or using bezels, just cutting shapes out of flat metal to become 3d, I like the loop on top the shape reminds me of a pocket watch.



I am usually not drawn to these raw and crystally type stones, but this one is so beautiful, and I could envision it in this setting. I am still working on it obviously, I will fold over the metal on the bottom and the sides to keep the stone in place, the back is the same as this side so it can be worn either way. This silver strip actully used to be a spoon, well the handle. BTW If anyone has random sterling spoons that don't belong to a set, send them my way. I promise not to make spoon rings!



Here is one more imprinted piece that I cut out, to look like a peacock feather roughly... I really don't love silver, which is why I typically do things in brass, but it's brass, maybe it's time to invest in some 14k gold... At least the center piece could be gold, it would add so much more richness, some stones wouldn't hurt...


Vintage Show
On Saturday, I went to this awesome vintage exhibit at the design center. it was very inspiring, and I could have been there all day!! But I found these buttons which are from the 40's I think, they have scenes on them, one has Neptune, and one has Phaeton on a charriot with his horses. I plan on pressing them into wax and hopefully casting them, I have yet to give it another attempt.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the raw crystal, I think it is very beautiful; I like your design idea. I also like the piece which looks like a peacock feather. I was wondering if you could use copper and treat it with a chemical to turn the center blue???? Just an idea. I also like your buttons, they are just wonderful.
    Hugs, Mema

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, the chariots button is super. I love seeing your work in progress, that raw stone in the square setting is amazing. and I love the claws holding that stone in place. side note... lighten your photos a bit so you can see more detail. oh yeah, the peacock feather idea is a really really good one. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any type of crafting by hand, I like the most, thanks for your creativity.

    gallery804

    ReplyDelete